Former Nigeria U17 assistant coach Haruna bags AFRILA AwardPublished: July 16, 2023
Former Assistant coach of the Nigeria National U17 team, Bunmi Haruna has been recognized for his contribution to sports development in Nigeria and Africa by the African Excellence Foundation (AFRILA Award).
The organizer Austin Holy, says the recognition is for Bunmi's contribution to upholding Africa's cultural heritage through sports.
Bunmi, a CAF-licensed coach rose from being a TV/Radio reporter to taking up the challenge of a football coach.
In 2018, he was appointed one of the assistants to legendary Nigeria youth coach Manu Garba and the team went on to represent Nigeria at the 2019 FIFA U17 World Cup in Brazil.
The young coach has also worked with former African Footballer of the Year, Emmanuel Amunike, and coach Nduka Ugbade among others.
Bunmi Blair (nicknamed The Sports Prime Minister) is a popular Sports On-Air Personality on Abuja's prestigious radio stations, 95.1 Nigeria Info FM, 96.9 Cool FM, and 99.5 Wazobia FM.
He also serves as the chairman of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), FCT chapter.
"It is a great privilege to be recognized by Africa Legendary Awards as the Progressive Sports Hero, 2023.
"Celebrating and upholding Africa's heritage is a must for all of us.
"People most times think the European way of play or culture is superior to the African way, but this is not true.
"The Europeans leverage Africa's rich culture to sustain their cultures.
"From Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto, Austin Okocha, Mohammed Salah to even Victor Osimhen, Africa has continued to showcase her rich culture at the biggest stage.
"It is my hope that our leaders will stop lording foreign cultures on our people by giving the best positions and opportunities available in Africa to Africans."
The event which took place at the Abuja Continental Hotel also saw Dr. Justina Ezeyin, Professor Mike Ozekhome, Dr. Peace Edeko, Jaiz Bank, Hon. Isa Dogonyaro, Teefum Travels among others bag awards on the night.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football