'Pre-season has not been easy' - Rangers striker Dessers admits fitness concernsPublished: July 30, 2023
Cyriel Dessers has admitted that he is not in tiptop condition ahead of Rangers first competitive game of the 2023-2024 season against Kilmarnock on Saturday, August 5.
The Light Blues confirmed the capture of Dessers twenty four days ago, signing him from Italian Serie B club US Cremonese on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
Dessers' fitness is a cause for concern given that manager Michael Beale is counting on the Nigerian attacker to play a key role for his side in the new season.
The 28-year-old started Rangers' last two pre-season games against Hoffenheim and Olympiacos, and came off the bench to make his first appearance for the Glasgow club against Hamburg.
Having missed the last six games contested by Cremonese in the Serie A due to a kneecap problem, Dessers confessed that he's lacking match fitness heading into the game against Kilmarnock.
Speaking after Saturday's friendly with Hoffenheim, Dessers told Rangers TV: "For myself the pre-season has not been easy because I was injured in the last month of last season so I did my rehab during my holiday and also at the beginning when I came to Rangers.
"I'm still getting used to the rhythm. In the training it's going fine but in the games I feel like I need more rhythm, the speed of the game needs to pick up."
Dessers scored ten goals in 32 appearances combined for Cremonese and Racing Genk last season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- CAF Team of the Year 2023: Osimhen joins Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham players in ideal XI
- Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prize
- CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national team
- 'Gave Man Utd's back four a torrid time' - PL's record goalscorer hails Solanke for display at Old Trafford
- 'A great understanding with Osimhen' - Peseiro on similarities and differences between Lookman and Chukwueze
- Nwaneri trains with Arsenal first team pre-PSV after scoring five goals in FA Youth Cup clash
- CAF Awards 2023: Can Osimhen end Nigeria's 24-year wait for an African football king?
- 'We can do better' - Boniface reacts to Bayer's 1-1 draw against VfB Stuttgart
- Super Eagles-eligible defender agrees new long-term contract with Tottenham Hotspur
- Osimhen battles Saka, Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, 20 others for IFFHS Men's World Best Player 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football