Red-hot Nigerian striker scores in fourth straight game for Rangers BPublished: August 01, 2023
2023 Nigeria U23 invitee Thompson Ishaka continued his scoring streak with another goal as Glasgow Rangers thrashed Spartans 3-0 at Ainslie Park on Tuesday night to progress to the second round of the SPFL Trust Trophy.
Ishaka had scored consecutively in pre-season matches against Belgian Pro League side OH Leuven and followed that up with another goal in a 3-0 win against Everton, before making it three goals in as many games in the entertaining 5-3 win over Burnley this past weekend.
Against Spartans, Ishaka led the attack and was supported by Alex Lowry and Zak Lovelace.
Rangers dominated proceedings in the opening half an hour but were unable to find a breakthrough until the 37th minute when Robbie Fraser hammered home an unstoppable shot that went in off the underside of the bar.
Two minutes after the restart, Ishaka doubled the advantage by firing home into the top corner after a lovely pass from Lowry.
Ishaka's strike partner Lowry then turned from provider to scorer as he converted a penalty kick to increase the lead after Lovelace was fouled in the area.
The Nigerian could not get on the scoresheet again as he was replaced by McPake with an hour played.
Signed in March 2023, Ishaka will be hoping to make his senior debut for Rangers in the forthcoming season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- CAF Team of the Year 2023: Osimhen joins Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham players in ideal XI
- Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prize
- CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national team
- 'Gave Man Utd's back four a torrid time' - PL's record goalscorer hails Solanke for display at Old Trafford
- 'A great understanding with Osimhen' - Peseiro on similarities and differences between Lookman and Chukwueze
- Nwaneri trains with Arsenal first team pre-PSV after scoring five goals in FA Youth Cup clash
- CAF Awards 2023: Can Osimhen end Nigeria's 24-year wait for an African football king?
- 'We can do better' - Boniface reacts to Bayer's 1-1 draw against VfB Stuttgart
- Super Eagles-eligible defender agrees new long-term contract with Tottenham Hotspur
- Osimhen battles Saka, Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, 20 others for IFFHS Men's World Best Player 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football