'We are aware of that' - Lionesses boss prepared for Super Falcons woman-marking JamesPublished: August 06, 2023
England manager Sarina Wiegman attended the mandatory pre-match press conference on Sunday, on the eve of the Lionesses eagerly anticipated round of 16 showdown against Nigeria at the 2023 Fifa Women's World Cup.
One of the topics Sarina touched on was the possibility of Super Falcons coach Randy Waldrum detailing one of his players to woman-mark Chelsea dazzler Lauren James.
The whole world saw Lauren James and the impact she had on the game as England demolished China PR 6-1 to advance to the round of 16 as Group D winners.
James has been in sparking form during the tournament in Australia and New Zealand, scoring the match-winning goal against Denmark and was involved in an incredible five goals (2 goals, 3 assists) against China PR.
And in doing so, the 21-year-old became the youngest player to directly participate in five goals in a single Women's World Cup match.
Nigeria have impressed everyone with their defensive organization, having kept two clean sheets in the group stage, but are also dangerous transitionally with their pace and work ethic.
James brings versatility to the Lionesses side as she can operate on the wing and in a number 10 role.
"First of all, we have not made the starting lineup yet. Some countries do mark us and want to take our players, not only one but more players, so that's good when you have so many good players on the pitch," Wiegman told reporters.
"They have to be aware of all those players and we know when players are man marked that you find other ways to build, create and hopefully get chances and score goals.
"We are aware of that and we are prepared for that too."
England may be touted as favourites for tomorrow's tie given that they are the European champions, but they have lost their last two friendlies against the Super Falcons.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football