Nephew of 2008 Olympic Games silver medalist makes full debut for ChelseaPublished: August 30, 2023
Lesley Ugochukwu, the nephew of 2008 Olympic Games silver medalist and retired Nigeria international Onyekachi Apam, will make his full debut for Premier League giants Chelsea on Wednesday evening, barring an injury in the warmup.
The France underage international has been named in Chelsea's starting lineup for the London derby against AFC Wimbledon in the second round of the Carabao Cup.
Ugochukwu joined Chelsea on August 1, signing a a seven-year contract, with a club option of a further year.
The 19-year-old is set to make his starting debut for the Blues, after coming off the bench in Premier League matches against Liverpool and Luton Town, with both games held at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino has decided to hand a full debut to Ugochukwu with several senior players either missing as a result of injuries or rested ahead of their Premier League meeting with Nottingham Forest.
During his time at Rennes, the 2023 Golden Boy nominee totaled 25 starts consisting of 18 in the Ligue 1, 5 in the Europa League and one apiece in the Europa Conference League qualifiers and Coupe de France.
Meanwhile, another Super Eagles-eligible player in Noni Madueke also makes his first start of the season for Chelsea against the League Two side, while Carney Chukwuemeka is unavailable for selection due to injury.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football