'Dessers gets in front of him' - Ex-PL referee insists Rangers' goal against Celtic should have stoodPublished: September 05, 2023
Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher has insisted that Rangers' goal in the first half of their Scottish Premiership meeting with Celtic on Sunday should have stood.
The decision not to award the goal following a video assistant referee (VAR) review proved costly as the Hoops went on to win the tie 1-0 courtesy of Kyogo's wonder strike in first half stoppage time.
Rangers thought they had taken the lead in the 28th minute when Kemar Roofe got on the scoresheet but the goal was eventually canceled as VAR decided that there was a foul on Celtic defender Gustaf Lagerbielke from Cyriel Dessers in the build-up to the goal.
Gallagher has insisted that it was the wrong call as Dessers' challenge on Lagerbielke was legitimate.
Analyzing the weekend's big decisions in the Premier League and Scottish Premiership, Gallagher said on Sky Sports' Ref Watch: "The referee has got it absolutely correct on the pitch - it's not a foul. Dessers gets in front of him.
"All I can think is when he gets to the screen if he thinks he has pushed him. If the VAR hadn't intervened no one would really have been complaining. It's certainly not a foul with his feet. "
Dessers has directly participated in five goals (2 goals, 3 assists) in nine games since his arrival at Rangers in the summer transfer window.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- CAF Team of the Year 2023: Osimhen joins Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham players in ideal XI
- Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prize
- CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national team
- 'Gave Man Utd's back four a torrid time' - PL's record goalscorer hails Solanke for display at Old Trafford
- 'A great understanding with Osimhen' - Peseiro on similarities and differences between Lookman and Chukwueze
- Nwaneri trains with Arsenal first team pre-PSV after scoring five goals in FA Youth Cup clash
- CAF Awards 2023: Can Osimhen end Nigeria's 24-year wait for an African football king?
- 'We can do better' - Boniface reacts to Bayer's 1-1 draw against VfB Stuttgart
- Super Eagles-eligible defender agrees new long-term contract with Tottenham Hotspur
- Osimhen battles Saka, Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, 20 others for IFFHS Men's World Best Player 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football