'A big milestone for me' - Osimhen reacts to being nominated for Ballon d'OrPublished: September 08, 2023
Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen has expressed his happiness at being shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or.
The Napoli striker was among the 30-man nominees released by the French news magazine, France Football, the organizers of the award on Wednesday.
He becomes the seventh Nigerian to be nominated for the Ballon d'Or with Sunday Oliseh, Victor Ikpeba, Daniel Amokachi, Jay-Jay Okocha, Finidi George and Nwakwo Kanu being the others.
The former Lille forward was named alongside Egyptian forward Mohamed Salah, Cameroonian goalkeeper André Onana and Moroccan shot-stopper Yassine Bounou as the only African players on the shortlist.
Osimhen had a banner season with Napoli last season, establishing himself as one of the most prolific strikers in Europe.
Having proven his goal prowess, he was linked with Manchester United, Chelsea, Bayern Munich and PSG all summer but Napoli refused to relinquish his services.
"It feels good. Glory be to God for this achievement. It is a big milestone for me because my childhood dream is being up there among the best, it's an amazing feeling for me and I thank those that have been very supportive and very helpful to me, my family also that have stood by me through the hard times, my friends.
"I'm happy. I dedicate this to God also and this is just the beginning. I will keep working hard to make sure I achieve all my dreams," Osimhen told Football Fans Tribe.
The Napoli striker has hit the ground running in the Serie A this season, scoring 3 goals in his first three games.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football