'It is false' - Gift Orban confirms ahead of potential Nigeria debut he never wanted to play for TogoPublished: September 08, 2023
KAA Gent goal machine Gift Orban has confirmed that he never considered playing for the Togolese national team before earning his first call-up to the Super Eagles for a dead rubber 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against São Tomé and Príncipe.
Allnigeriasoccer.com exclusively reported 170 days ago that the dual national striker has pledged his international future to the Nigeria national team, rather than the Togolese Republic.
Uncapped at international level, Orban was being monitored by the Togolese Federation with a view to an invitation to the Sparrow hawks, but his mind was already made up to represent the Super Eagles.
It was claimed in some quarters that Orban was leaning towards representing Togo after he failed to show up for a 2023 Africa U23 Cup of Nations qualifier against Guinea back in March.
Setting the record straight, Orban told Football Fans Tribe: "It is false, I never wanted to play for Benin or Togo. Many people talk because Nigeria have big players. If you play here you move to a big club, but I never wanted to play for Togo.
"Togo needs players but I don't want to play for Togo. My mom is from Togo and my father is from Taraku, Benue State in Nigeria."
Should Orban feature for even one second against São Tomé and Príncipe, he will become officially cap-tied to Nigeria, given that he celebrated his 21st birthday in July.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football