Nigeria v Sao Tome and Príncipe: Match preview, what to expect, team news, key players, kickoff timePublished: September 09, 2023
Nigeria will square up against São Tomé and Príncipe in the last qualification match of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign.
The Super Eagles have qualified for the next edition of the AFCON but still need to avoid a defeat to finish the qualifiers as group winners.
São Tomé and Príncipe on the other hand won't participate as they have only earned 1 point from 5 matches so far.
The only encounter between both sides took place last year where the Super Eagles annihilated the Falcons and True Parrots team 10-0.
Jose Peseiro's side are overwhelming favourite heading into the game and expected to have a stroll in the park in tomorrow's dead rubber.
What to expect
The three-time African champions should dominate the encounter with the gulf in class between them and True Parrots and Falcons team.
There should also be a lot of wing play from the home side with the quality of their wingers and fullbacks.
São Tomé and Príncipe will defend deep in their half, bide their time and wait for their opportunity to hurt Nigeria.
KAA Gent striker Gift Orban has a minor discomfort in the leg and will undergo a late fitness test on Saturday to determine his availability for the match. The 21-year-old did not take part in full training in the final workout on Friday.
1. Victor Osimhen: The Ballon d'or nominee is the leading scorer in the AFCON qualifiers and will be a thorn in the flesh of Adriano Eusébio's side.
The 24-year-old netted four goals in the first leg and will be confident of adding to his tally in the encounter
2. Wilfred Ndidi: The Leicester City midfielder will sit in front of the defence and is expected to play a vital role in Pesiro's men dictating the pace of the game.
3. Luis Leal: He is the skipper of the away side and has accounted for two of the three goals scored by the São Toméans so far in this qualifying campaign.
If the Falcons and True Parrots are to cause any upset, Leal will play a role.
Kickoff time and venue
The match is scheduled to start at 1700 hours and will be staged at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football