Gift Orban to undergo late fitness test to determine whether he can become cap-tied to NigeriaPublished: September 10, 2023
Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that free-scoring KAA Gent attacker Gift Orban has emerged as an injury worry for the Super Eagles ahead of Sunday's dead rubber 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against São Tomé and Príncipe at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.
The dual national player, who is also eligible to represent Togo through his mother, will undergo a late fitness test to determine whether he can become cap-tied to the three-time African champions tomorrow.
Orban is one of the most exciting young strikers in Europe at the moment, scoring 26 goals in 31 appearances since his move to Gent in the January transfer window.
The 21-year-old did not train fully with the rest of the Super Eagles squad in their final workout on Saturday, putting his participation for the matchday six AFCON qualifier in doubt.
Orban is experiencing a minor discomfort in the leg and will be assessed on Sunday morning to determine his availability for the match.
Providing a squad update at the pre-match press conference, Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro told reporters: "Orban complained but I don't know if it's serious or not. We will check today in the training."
If Orban is not passed fit, the Portuguese football tactician is still spoilt for choice in the forward line as he can call upon the services of Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Iheanacho, Victor Boniface and Taiwo Awoniyi.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football