Gent chief cites Antony's N76b move to Man Utd as he insists Spurs-linked striker Orban is worth N24bPublished: September 13, 2023
KAA Gent CEO Michel Louwagie has insisted that 30 million euros (approximately N24 billion in Nigerian currency) is not a huge fee to sign Gift Orban and to drive home his point, he emphasized that Brazil international Antony departed Ajax Amsterdam for Manchester United in exchange for 95 million euros (N76 billion).
Gent were not desperate to sell their prolific striker in the summer transfer window due to the significant financial injection into the club following the takeover by Sam Baro.
Tottenham Hotspur tested the waters regarding the signing of Orban, having opened a line of communication with the player's camp, but did not firm up their interest by making an official bid to Gent.
The Lilywhites signed Wales international forward Brennan Johnson from Nottingham Forest on deadline day for a fee of €55m, which is €25 more than the fee Gent would have demanded for Orban.
Tottenham Hotspur's Premier League rivals, Fulham were also linked with a summer move for the Nigerian marksman but a move did not materialize.
Asked if 30 million euros is a lot of money for Gift Orban, Louwagie said to Het Nieuwsblad: "No, that has already made me angry. Why do Ajax and PSV sell players like Antony for 95 million and others for easily 40 to 50 million?
"And why should we think that 30 million is too much, even though the competition here is at least as good? Just look at how Dutch clubs are doing in Europe.
"But we are Flemish who look at each other's plates and are jealous. Instead of all demanding higher prices and helping Belgian football progress.
"No, rather capital injections – 500 million in the last five years in Belgium – and then complaining. We really need to stop doing that.
"Dutch clubs only had a deficit of 1 million in the 2021-2022 season, while we had a deficit of 150 million. They close their gaps by selling at higher prices."
Orban has been on fire since moving to Europe in May 2022, scoring 45 goals in 55 appearances combined for Stabæk Fotball and Gent.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football