Arteta supplements Arsenal's Premier League squad with six players of Nigerian descentPublished: September 13, 2023
Arsenal have submitted their 25-man squad to the Premier League following the closure of the summer transfer window on September 1, 2023.
There are two separate lists - the main one containing a total of 25 players and another reserved for only U21 players and scholars irrespective of nationality.
Gunners manager Mikel Arteta has supplemented the squad with six players eligible to represent the Nigerian national teams.
For the 2023-2024 season, U21 players will have been born on or after January 1, 2002.
2023 Flying Eagles invitee Ovie Ejeheri is joined on the U21 list by fullback Cam'ron Ismail, midfielders Miguel Azeez and Ethan Nwaneri, and strikers Henry Davies and Daniel Oyetunde.
Brian Okonkwo and Nathan Butler-Oyedeji have also been named on the U21 list but are not eligible to represent Arsenal in the first half of the season after sealing loan moves to Isthmian South Central club Leatherhead and League One side Cheltenham Town respectively this month.
Of the aforementioned Anglo-Nigerian players, only Nwaneri has featured in the Premier League, coming off the bench in the closing minutes of a 3-0 rout of Brentford on September 18, 2022, aged 15 years and 181 days.
And in doing so, the Hale End Academy product became the youngest player ever to appear in a top-flight match in English football, beating the previous record held by Sunderland’s Derek Foster in August 1964.
Azeez has received five call-ups for Premier League games but was not utilized off the bench against Sheffield United, Brighton & Hove, Southampton, Chelsea and Manchester United.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football