Hutton insists Rangers striker Dessers has done okay but there's still room for improvementPublished: September 14, 2023
Retired Scotland international Alan Hutton has acknowledged that Cyriel Dessers has not done badly since his summer move to Glasgow Rangers but stressed that he still has room for improvement.
The Nigeria international was lacking match fitness heading into the 2023-2024 season after recovering from a kneecap issue that saw him miss the last six games played by Cremonese last term.
Rangers boss Michael Beale bolstered his squad with the signing of Danilo, Cyriel Dessers, Sam Lammers and Abdallah Sima,, and the quartet have accounted for seven of the fourteen goals netted by the Light Blues in the new season.
Of the aforementioned players, Dessers leads the way in goal contributions with five (2 goals, 3 assists) in nine matches.
The Super Eagles star has been involved in all the matches played by Rangers so far, nine in total, eight of which he started, an indication that Beale is counting on him to play a major role this season.
Analyzing the performance of Rangers' attack-minded signings, Hutton said to Football Insider: "Obviously the jury is still out.
"Matondo has been brought back in, and deservedly so, Roofe when fit has been playing in the bigger games so there is still question marks over Sima, Lammers and Dessers to a certain extent
"I think Dessers has done ok, the signs of a player are definitely there but there is room for improvement in in him and the other signings as well."
Dessers joined Rangers for a guaranteed fee of five million euros plus €1.5m in performance-related add-ons.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football