'Just one of those days' - Boniface admits he should have scored a goal or two against BayernPublished: September 16, 2023
For the first time in his Bundesliga career, Victor Boniface neither scored nor assisted a goal as Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen played out a four-goal thriller at the Allianz Arena on Friday evening.
Heading into the game, most of the talk centered around two of the leading scorers in the German top flight - Bayern Munich's England skipper Harry Kane and newly-capped Nigeria international Victor Boniface.
While Boniface was prevented from finding the net, the Englishman opened the scoring under seven minutes when he headed home unmarked at the near post.
Alejandro Grimaldo, with a sublime free-kick, equalized for the visitors in the 24th minute and Bayern thought they had won it in the 86th minute when Leon Goretzka tapped in from close range, only for Exequiel Palacios to score a late penalty to salvage a point for Bayer Leverkusen.
Boniface had a couple of opportunities to get on the scoresheet and had the ball in the net in the 33rd minute but the flag was up for offside.
The Nigerian held his own against Dayot Upamecano and Kim Min-jae on several occasions, but ultimately missed all eight of his shots.
"It was just one of those days when the ball didn't want to go in. That's football, sometimes you just don't score," a disappointed Boniface told Sky Sport Germany after the game.
"After the game I couldn't even listen to what the coach was saying to us because I was thinking that I should have scored a goal or two."
Boniface has seven goal involvements in five all-competition appearances for Bayer Leverkusen and provided an assist on his debut for the Nigeria national team last weekend.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football