Michael Beale explains why Dessers was not given minutes for the first time in his Rangers careerPublished: September 17, 2023
Rangers manager Michael Beale has explained his decision to bench Cyriel Dessers in his side's 2-0 win over St.Johnstone on matchday 5 of the Scottish Premiership on Saturday.
The Super Eagles forward was an unused substitute for the first time in his Rangers' career as the Light Blues returned to winning ways after losing to Celtic in the Old Firm derby before the international break.
It was fellow summer signing Danilo who got the nod to start over the Belgian-born forward in the encounter.
The 28-year-old has come under huge criticism for his performances so far in the colours of the Scottish giants.
To support this, the fans were delighted to see the former Cremonese striker substituted in their defeat to Celtic and it was not surprising that he was dropped for yesterday's encounter.
In quotes relayed by Rangers News, the English tactician was quoted to have said: "With Danilo, he's had a couple of bits going on and he's had this two weeks to get himself fits and goes and scores
"It was a real big moment for Danilo to get the injury at the time.
"It's something he (Danilo) has got in the box, he is that type of striker, that the movement with Kemar playing close to him you've always got two in there.
"Tom's a good runner off the ball in the box. It was an area that we targeted with St Johnstone up and around their centre-backs.
"That's why we brought Abdallah Sima on because of the movement down the lines.
"The aim of the game was to play down the side of the centre-halves and play with a two close together and I feel that ultimately that's what's won us the game."
Dessers is still searching for his first league goal for Rangers after 4 appearances in the Scottish Premiership this season.
He has totaled 9 across all competitions for the 2022 Europa League finalist and has notched 2 goals and 3 assists.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football