'You can compare him with Romelu Lukaku' - Marc Wilmots likens Boniface to Chelsea-owned strikerPublished: September 21, 2023
Retired Belgium international Marc Wilmots has likened Bayer Leverkusen star Victor Boniface to Chelsea-owned striker Romelu Lukaku as he spoke about the strengths and potential of the young Nigeria international.
Bayer Leverkusen bolstered their squad with the signing of Boniface from Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in the summer for a fee in the region of 20 million euros.
The 22-year-old has been in red-hot form since his move to Germany, scoring 5 goals and providing two assists in five appearances across all competitions ahead of Bayer Leverkusen's Europa League opener against BK Häcken on Thursday evening.
Boniface beat Bayern Munich superstar Harry Kane to the Bundesliga Player of the Month for August and his performances last month also saw him win the Rookie of the Month award.
On the international stage, he provided an assist twenty minutes into his Super Eagles debut in a 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against São Tomé and Príncipe on September 10.
Former Belgium coach Wilmots knows all about the qualities of Boniface having watched him ten times last season.
When asked the center forward he would compare Boniface to in terms of type, Wilmots said to Kicker : "Victor Boniface is Victor Boniface. In terms of type, you can perhaps compare him somewhat with Romelu Lukaku.
"But Lukaku has even more power. If he starts from midfield, you can't hold him. And Romelu is more dangerous, a real goalscorer.
"Boniface still has to prove this class. But he is only 22 years old. He can still get a lot better."
Wilmots concluded by saying that Boniface can become a world-class striker within three years and added that Robert Lewandowski had a difficult first year at Borussia Dortmund before he became one of the best strikers in the world.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football