'It's strange to end a game without scoring' - Osimhen declares after going goalless in three gamesPublished: September 21, 2023
Speaking after Napoli's 2-1 victory over Sporting de Braga in their Champions League opener on Wednesday night, Victor Osimhen admitted that it was strange that he did not get on the scoresheet against the Portuguese setup.
However, the Napoli number 9 was delighted to help Napoli secure all three points in their Champions League opener.
Osimhen has now gone twenty four days without finding the back of the net for the Parthenopeans after firing blanks in back-to-back matches against Lazio, Genoa and Sporting de Braga.
The 2015 Fifa U17 World Cup Golden Boot winner was clinical at the start of the new Serie A season, where he registered three goals in his first two games, and was the leading marksman in 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying with ten goals after his hat-trick in Nigeria's 6-0 rout of São Tomé and Príncipe on September 10.
Osimhen has now gone 335 minutes in all competitions for Napoli without adding to his 3-goal tally in the new season.
"It's strange to end a game without scoring. I'm a striker and strikers live for goals but it's not something that bothers me too much because it's already happened and I'm prepared for it," Osimhen was quoted as saying by UEFA's official website.
"It's not just with goals that you help the team and I'm always ready to help in other ways."
UEFA's Technical Observer Panel selected Victor Osimhen as the Player of the Match in the Group C fixture staged at the Estádio Municipal de Braga.
Photo Credit: sscnapoli.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football