Super Eagles face tricky 2023 AFCON draw after being placed in Pot 2Published: September 21, 2023
The Super Eagles could face a nightmare draw in the group stage of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations after being placed in Pot two by the Confederation of African Football on Thursday.
In the latest Fifa rankings, Nigeria are now the sixth ranked team in Africa and occupy 40th position in the world.
Nigeria were confined to pot two due to their standing in the continental rankings and with hosts Ivory Coast automatically among the six teams in pot one despite being ranked ninth in Africa.
The Super Eagles face the prospect of a difficult group stage at the 2023 AFCON as they are certain to face one of Ivory Coast, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Algeria or Egypt.
And in a worst case scenario, Nigeria could be drawn with South Africa, who are in pot three, and the highest ranked team in pot four, Guinea-Bissau.
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations draw will be held in Abidjan on 12 October 2023.
Confirmed pots for 2023 AFCON draw
Pot 1: Cote d’Ivoire, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt
Pot 2: Nigeria, Cameroon, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Cong DR
Pot 3: South Africa, Cape Verde, Guinea, Zambia, Equitorial Guinea, Mauritania
Pot 4: Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Namibia, Angola, Gambia, Tanzania
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football