'Okocha, Utaka, Osimhen shone here' - Ex-Flying Eagles star Adams on his move to French Ligue 1Published: September 21, 2023
Former Flying Eagles forward Akor Adams has revealed that he has been following the Ligue 1 long before he moved to France last summer due to the heroics of John Utaka, AustinJay-Jay Okocha, Victor Osimhen and other Nigerian players who have shone in the league in the past.
Adams joined Ligue 1 outfit Montpellier in the summer transfer window and has had a good start to his career in the French top flight.
On his debut against Le Havre on matchday one, he bagged a brace to become the first player to score a brace in his first game for Montpellier.
Having bagged his brace in one minute and 42 seconds, he also set the record for the fastest time for a debutant to score two goals in the French top flight.
The 23-year-old has disclosed the fact that he has been a follower of the Ligue 1 before his arrival at Stade de la Mosson due to the success of some Nigerian players in the league in previous years
"I obviously followed Ligue 1 because many Nigerian players have shone there in the past like Okocha, Utaka or Osimhen to name a few and I am happy to have the opportunity to play here," Adams told the official website of Montpellier.
"Ligue 1 is a bit tougher than I thought, whether technically, physically, or the speed of the game and I have to adapt very quickly. I am aware of this and I give the best of myself to achieve it."
Utaka is a Montpellier hero having helped the club to scoop the league title in the 2011/2012 season, while Okocha and Osimhen also stared at PSG and Lille respectively.
Adams has made 5 league appearances in the Ligue 1 this season and has notched 3 goals.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football