Bad news for Peseiro ahead of friendly v Saudi Arabia after latest update on Porto LB SanusiPublished: September 22, 2023
Zaidu Sanusi is almost certainly not in contention to be named in the Super Eagles squad for their October international against Saudi Arabia after the latest update from Porto manager Sérgio Conceição.
The left-back was forced off at halftime during Porto's Champions League opener against Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday.
Conceição initially played down the severity of the injury, saying post-match that the defender was replaced as a precaution due to a muscle problem.
Upon the team's return to Portugal on Wednesday, Sanusi underwent a medical examination and the tests showed that he suffered a muscle injury to his left thigh.
Speaking at Friday's pre-match press conference before his side's meeting with Gil Vicente, Conceição confirmed that Sanusi will not be available for selection for tomorrow's game at the Estádio Do Dragão.
The Portuguese football tactician added that Sanusi will be out of action in the next few weeks, which makes him a huge doubt to be summoned for the friendly against Saudi Arabia.
Nigeria manager Jose Peserio certainly had plans to include Sanusi on his roster for the friendly, given that the the game is scheduled to hold in Portugal where the player is based and it would be the national team's last match before the start of the 2026 World Cup qualifiers.
The 26-year-old was not called up for Nigeria's 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against São Tomé and Príncipe earlier this month.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football