Stuart Pearce names Awoniyi among three U17 WC winners at Nottingham Forest who have pacePublished: September 23, 2023
Ahead of the Premier League clash between Manchester City and Nottingham Forest at the Etihad Stadium, England legend Stuart Pearce has named three previous Fifa U17 World Cup winners in the Nottingham Forest squad who have pace to burn.
The odds are stacked against Nottingham Forest heading into the fixture, considering that Pep Guardiola's side are in red-hot form having won all the seven games they've played this season.
Nottingham Forest have shown their attacking process by scoring in twelve consecutive Premier League matches.
Pearce, who has a boot in both camps having played for both Manchester City and Nottingham Forest, namechecked three former U17 World Cup winners - Taiwo Awoniyi (2013), Callum Hudson-Odoi (2017) and Morgan Gibbs-White (2017) - as he discussed the counter attacking threat of Nottingham Forest.
Awoniyi has been, unarguably, the best player at Nottingham Forest since the start of May 2023 having scored or assisted in each of his last nine games in the Premier League.
"But credit to Steve Cooper, he had a look at it early on and decided ‘we can’t do this, we’re too open," Stuart Pearce said to Manchester City's official website.
"I think he has recruited players who have got a bit of pace on the counterattack well with players like Taiwo Awoniyi, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Morgan Gibbs-White as well.
"They have all got a good counter-attacking threat, but City pose a big problem to whoever goes there."
Awoniyi has netted against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United since returning to England, but fired blanks in 32 minutes of action at the Etihad Stadium as Nottingham Forest suffered a 6-0 defeat at the hands of the Premier League champions last season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football