'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v ArsenalPublished: September 24, 2023
In the 194th edition of the north London derby, Tottenham Hotspur came from behind twice to earn a point in a 2-2 draw against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Italy U21 international of Nigerian descent, Destiny Udogie made his sixth consecutive start in the Premier League and went the distance for the third game in a row.
Tottenham Hotspur central defender Cristian Romero had a tough day as he netted an own goal in the 26th minute when he diverted a shot from Bukayo Saka, before giving away a penalty which was converted by the England international in the 54th minute.
In an exciting clash, Tottenham restored parity each time they conceded, courtesy of two well-taken goals by their captain Son Heung-min.
In his first north London derby, Udogie looked nervy in the first half but improved in the second largely due to the fact that Saka was starved of service.
The Italian-Nigerian left-back was walking a disciplinary tightrope for more than 75 minutes after receiving the first booking of the game in the 15th minute for a late challenge on Saka.
A minute later, the Tottenham number 38 almost caused a goal when his poor back pass allowed Eddie Nketiah to get in but the Arsenal striker couldn't find a way past the goalkeeper from a tight angle.
Respected BBC Sport chief football writer Phil McNulty, who was at the Emirates Stadium, noted that Udogie had a shaky performance in the first half, especially in the opening twenty minutes of the contest.
"Destiny Udogie looks a bit rattled here. First a yellow card for a very rash challenge on Bukayo Saka then that back pass that almost allowed Eddie Nketiah in," he said on BBC Sport.
"Just needs to calm down but he already knows he cannot afford another mistimed challenge - and Arsenal will know it as well."
After three straight wins in the Premier League, Tottenham only got a point against Arsenal and that means they have fourteen points from six games, same as Arsenal - four points off reigning champions Manchester City who have a hundred percent record.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football