Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL historyPublished: September 24, 2023
Nigerian defender Femi Seriki received his fifth career call-up for a Premier League game but was a non-playing substitute as Newcastle United registered an emphatic 8-0 win over Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Sunday evening.
Seriki made his Premier League debut in Sheffield United's last away game of the 2020-2021 season, and the opponent was Newcastle United.
Today's victory was Newcastle United's biggest away victory and their largest overall league victory since their 8-0 defeat of Sheffield Wednesday in September 1999.
The Blades were 3-0 down at halftime, with Sean Longstaff, Dan Burn and Sven Botman finding the net for the visitors.
The Magpies upped the ante in the second half, leading to goals from Callum Wilson, Anthony Gordon, Miguel Almiron, Bruno Guimarães, Alexander Isak, and became the first team in Premier League history to have eight different scorers in a single game.
Sheffield United manager Paul Heckingbottom decided it was best not to bring on his young defender Seriki despite still having one substitution left.
The 21-year-old was given minutes as Sheffield United were beaten on penalties by Lincoln City in the second round of the League Cup on August 30.
Seriki was snapped up by Sheffield United in 2019 after a spell with the youth team of Bury.
Photo Credit: sufc.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football