First red card in 57 games: Gift Orban gets slap on the wrist from Federal Public Prosecutor's OfficePublished: September 25, 2023
Through a statement on their official website, KAA Gent have confirmed that Belgium's Federal Public Prosecutor's Office has requested a two-match suspension for Gift Orban , one of which is postponed, following the red card he received in the closing minutes of the first half in the league match with KAS Eupen on Sunday.
Orban got his marching orders from the central referee Jan Boterberg after he pushed Eupen defender Rune Paeshuyse.
The Federal Public Prosecutor's Office which is the adjudicating body in the Belgian top flight has ruled that the offence that got the 2023 Super Eagles invitee sent off involved physical misconduct and a brutal push with high intensity, thus the reason behind the two-match suspension.
However, because it was his first red card after 57 career games, the body ruled that he will serve a one-match suspension while the other will be postponed.
Gent are expected to take a position on the verdict not later than Tuesday.
The suspension rules him out of the Buffalos league game against defending champions Antwerp but should return for their encounter with RWD Molenbeek on October 1.
Orban has been having a tough time in recent weeks, struggling with form and injuries having missed the Super Eagles tie with São Tomé and Príncipe in the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers and not scoring in his last five matches for Gent.
Despite his recent struggles in front of goals, he has still managed to score 6 goals in 11 games across all competitions for the Belgian outfit.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football