Pundit insists Chelsea should have signed Super Eagles star for N123.7b in the summerPublished: September 26, 2023
Talksport pundit Jason Cundy has insisted that Premier League giants Chelsea should have firmed up their interest in Victor Osimhen by making a bid of £130m (approximately N123.7 billion in Nigerian currency) in the summer transfer window.
The Nigeria national teamer was courted by several top European clubs in the summer after enjoying the most successful season of his career in blasting Napoli to a first Serie A title in 33 years.
English Premier League duo Manchester United and Chelsea, plus Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain were interested in signing Osimhen but it appears they were priced out of a move considering that they turned their attention to other targets.
United brought in Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta, Chelsea signed Villarreal's Nicolas Jackson, PSG got Gonçalo Ramos from Benfica and Bayern Munich acquired Tottenham Hotspur legend Harry Kane.
Chelsea have struggled for goals in the new season and the player spearheading the attack, Jackson has managed only one goal in seven all-competition appearances.
Chelsea's lack of bite in attack is the chief reason they are languishing in 14th place with five points from their first six games in the Premier League.
"The hilarious thing about this from the outside looking in is that we still need to spend more money," Cundy told talkSPORT, via The Chelsea Chronicle.
"Osimhen was available in the summer, £130 million, we should have just gone there you go, take it."
Chelsea are looking to address their goalscoring woes by signing a striker when the transfer window reopens for business but any move to prise Osimhen from Napoli in January looks almost impossible.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football