'You can't get less' - Gent boss explains why there was no point in appealing Gift Orban's one-game banPublished: September 27, 2023
Jupiler Pro League table toppers KAA Gent will be missing a key player when they take on the current champions Royal Antwerp on Wednesday evening.
2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban is ineligible to take to the pitch as he has been suspended for one matchday following his dismissal in the first half of the 2-1 win versus Eupen last weekend.
In a moment of madness, Orban was shown a straight red card in the matchday eight tie against Eupen for making a punching motion in the direction of Rune Paeshuyse and the dismissal was confirmed after a VAR check that lasted few minutes.
Orban got a slap on the wrist from the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office because he was a first offender - his first red card in 57 matches as a professional.
Manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck revealed in his pre-match press conference before the visit to Antwerp that Gent did not appeal the suspension because the striker got the lightest possible punishment.
In quotes relayed by Het Laatste Nieuws, Vanhaezebrouck told reporters: "The red card itself remains strict,
"He did not compromise the physical integrity of his opponent. But the suspension proposal has also been adjusted.
"One matchday, plus one conditional matchday. You can't get less. There was no point in appealing."
Orban should return to action in Gent's next away match against RWD Molenbeek on October 1, 2023.
In eleven appearances across all competitions this term, the 21-year-old has mustered six goals.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football