PL2: Shoretire scores as Manchester United bring an end to their winless runPublished: September 30, 2023
Manchester United's development squad brought an end to their winless run on Saturday after beating Blackburn Rovers 5-2 in a Premier League 2 clash at Lancashire FA County Ground.
Since the Red Devils U21s' extraordinary 10-1 win over Stoke City, they had not won in three games on the bounce as they drew away at Sunderland before suffering losses to Arsenal (Premier League 2) and Bolton Wanderers (EFL Trophy).
United U21 manager Travis Binnion named in Shola Shoretire and Maxi Oyedele in his starting lineup against Blackburn Rovers.
It was a great start for the visitors as an own goal from Gamble saw them take the lead in the 11th minute.
Shoretire was unfortunate not to double the advantage just past the half hour mark when his effort bounced back of the post.
After Powell's equalizer in the 36th minute, the Anglo-Nigerian attacking midfielder restored Manchester United's lead two minutes later, but it was honours even at the break with the home team equalizing in stoppage time.
Manchester United dominated the second half as Dan Gore, Omari Forson and Joe Hugill got their names on the scoresheet to make it 5-2.
Shoretire was replaced with six minutes left on the clock and Oyedele subbed out in the 64th minute.
Shoretire now has three goals and three assists in seven games for Manchester United U21s this season.
Photo Credit: manutd.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football