'You're playing against big players' - Tottenham left-back Udogie on his 1v1 duels with Saka and SalahPublished: September 30, 2023
Tottenham Hotspur maintained their unbeaten start to the season after a hard-fought but controversial 2-1 win over Liverpool at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday evening.
Jurgen Klopp's team were highly motivated heading into the fixture, knowing that they would go top of the table for the first time in two years if they managed to beat Tottenham after Manchester City's 2-1 loss at Wolverhampton Wanderers.
However, Liverpool found things difficult after two red cards, one in the first half to Curtis Jones and the other in the second half was shown to Diogo Jota after two fouls on Destiny Udogie.
The viistors also saw a legitimate goal scored by Luis Diaz disallowed.
Tottenham captain Son Heung-min tapped in the opener in the 36th minute, Cody Gakpo leveled matters in first half stoppage time, before an own goal from Joel Matip in the 96th minute handed the north London club a win.
Udogie has had an impressive start to his Tottenham career and saw a lot of the ball in the encounter with Liverpool, but on the flip side he had to deal with Liverpool on the counterattack.
The Italy U21 international emphasized that he coped with the pressure, thanks to help from his teammates.
In a post-match interview uploaded to Stadium Astro's YouTube page, Udogie stated: "Obviously we know as a team they are good in counterattacking.
"It was difficult but we responded well, we did a good job and it was okay".
In back-to-back Premier League games, Udogie has come up against arguably two of the best wingers in the Premier League in the shape of Arsenal's Bukayo Saka and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah.
The Italian-Nigerian left-back is delighted to test himself against two world-class wingers.
"Honestly this is the Premier League, the best league, so every game you have the best striker to face, it's the beauty of the game.
"You're playing against big players, it's nice to challenge yourself with them so I'm happy about this," Udogie added.
Tottenham are one of the two unbeaten sides in the Premier League after seven matches, along with north London rivals Arsenal.
Photo Credit: tottenhamhotspur.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football