'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be bookedPublished: October 01, 2023
Former Liverpool fullback Steve Nichol has insisted that Destiny Udogie didn't deserve to be booked during the first half of Tottenham Hotspur's Premier League clash with Liverpool on Saturday evening.
In the third minute of first half stoppage time, Udogie was yellow-carded for tripping up Cody Gakpo.
The 2022 World Cup star is now set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering an injury prior to scoring the Reds equalizer following the challenge by the Italian-Nigerian left-back.
Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones was issued a straight red card at minute 26 as he was deemed to be endangering the safety of an opponent.
Nichol has argued that Udogie should not have been shown a yellow card as he won the ball before the coming together with Gakpo.
Reacting to the dismissal of Jones, Nichol highlighted that referee Simon Hooper was inconsistent in his decisions.
"There was another challenge. Udogie made a challenge on Gakpo, he absolutely 100 percent got the ball, wasn't even a foul in my opinion," Nichol said on ESPN FC.
"Udogie for some reason got a foul against him and got a yellow card because he landed on Gakpo's ankle with his knee.
"If we're going to start looking at things as outcome or endangering the opponent, explain to me what's the difference between the two."
Currently on three yellow cards, Udogie is walking a disciplinary tightrope as he would be given an automatic one-match suspension if he collects two more yellow cards within the next twelve games.
Photo Credit: liverpoolfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football