Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or wingerPublished: October 01, 2023
Arsenal's Hale End Academy product Chuba Akpom has reportedly told Ajax Amsterdam coach Maurice Steijn he would prefer sitting on the bench, rather than being deployed as an attacking midfielder or right winger.
According to ESPN journalist Cristian Willaer, via Sport Nieuws, there is dissatisfaction among the Ajax Amsterdam players, with Akpom and Georges Mikautadze telling Steijn that they are not happy.
Willaer added that Akpom asked the Ajax manager when he would get a chance in the team as a striker.
The Super Eagles hopeful has not hit the heights expected of him in his first two months as an Ajax player following his move from Middlesbrough, with no goals in four appearances.
On his starting debut for Ajax Amsterdam in their Eredivisie clash against Twente Enschede, Akpom was deployed as a right winger in a 4-3-3 formation, which should be his least preferred position in a front three.
In Saturday's abandoned clash with RKC Waalwijk, Brian Brobbey was chosen to lead the line and Akpom was on the bench.
Despite the Arsenal-reared player having more than four years left on his contract, there's a dark cloud over his Ajax future given that Sven Mislintat, who recommended his signing, was recently fired from his role as Director of Football.
Akpom had a breakout 2022-2023 season, scoring 29 goals in 42 games across all competitions which earned him a move to the four-time European champions.
Photo Credit: ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football