A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new recordPublished: October 01, 2023
Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface failed at the final hurdle to set a new club record for the most goals scored by a Bayer Leverkusen player after six matchdays after firing blanks in a 3-0 rout of Mainz 05 on Saturday.
If he had scored against the home team, the Nigeria international would have matched Patrick Helmes' feat of scoring seven goals after the first six games in the German Bundesliga - a record that has stood for fifteen years.
Against Mainz, Boniface had a quiet first half having touched the ball twelve times but looked a little livelier in the second half.
Four minutes before he was replaced, he got his first real chance of the game when he was put through on goal by Edmond Tapsoba, but the Mainz goalkeeper Zentner made a superb save to deny him.
Boniface has had a fantastic start to his Bayer Leverkusen career, scoring on his debuts for the club in the Europa League and DFB Pokal, and racked up six goals from his five appearances in the Bundesliga before the trip to Mainz.
Although the number 22 failed in his record-breaking attempt to score 8 goals after six matchdays, he helped Bayer Leverkusen set a new club record after they collected three points against Mainz.
According to football statisticians OPTA, Bayer Leverkusen have garnered 16 points this Bundesliga season, the most they have ever managed at this stage of a season
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football