Six games without scoring: Gent coach highlights Gift Orban's struggles in front of goal in recent weeksPublished: October 02, 2023
KAA Gent coach Hein Vanhaezebrouck has acknowledged that his strikers including Gift Orban have struggled in front of goal in recent weeks.
Orban netted an impressive 20 goals in 22 appearances in the second half of the 2022-2023 campaign at Gent following his move from Stabæk Fotball, and it was thought he had picked up where he left off last season as he mustered six goals in his first six games this term.
Vanhaezebrouck's worry is that the 2023 Super Eagles invitee has failed to find the back of the net in six consecutive matches he has played in, dating back to the Europa Conference League playoff tie versus APOEL Nicosia.
It is believed that Orban has not delivered in recent games because he has struggled with fitness issues that saw him miss out on the Super Eagles gameday squad in their final 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against São Tomé and Príncipe.
In addition, the 21-year-old does not seem to be motivated after potential moves to Lille and Tottenham Hotspur failed to materialize in the summer transfer window.
In quotes relayed by Sporza, Vanhaezebrouck said post-match after Sunday's 1-1 draw with RWD Molenbeek: "Scoring is a bit of our problem. Hugo Cuypers was not there tonight, but Hugo has also scored much less in recent weeks, just like Gift Emmanuel Orban .
"We have had plenty of chances, but we are not taking them. There is one of us who scores every match at a certain tournament. Hopefully he will leave some goals for us."
Orban's last strike was in the 35th minute of Gent's 2-2 draw versus Sint-Truiden on August 20 and since then he has not scored in 359 minutes of action, firing blanks against Club Brugge, OH Leuven, KAS Eupen, RWD Molenbeek and APOEL Nicosia (2)
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football