Fenerbahce defender Osayi-Samuel suffering from flu ahead of Super Eagles clash against Saudi ArabiaPublished: October 08, 2023
Fenerbahce maintained their one hundred percent start to the 2023-2024 season following a 2-0 win against Kasimpasa in a Turkish Super Lig match on Sunday, but the Yellow Canaries won their sixteenth game on the bounce without Bright Osayi-Samuel.
İsmail Kartal, coach of Fenerbahce, revealed before the start of the game that Osayi-Samuel was dropped from the squad because he is suffering from flu.
The Super Eagles star is being assessed by the Fenerbahce medical team and it remains to be seen whether he will be permitted to link up with his international teammates in Portugal on Tuesday.
Osayi-Samuel was tipped to start against Saudi Arabia on Friday after his rival for a right-back role Ola Aina withdrew from the Super Eagles squad after failing to recover from a muscle-related injury.
Nigeria have been hit with fitness issues in defence ahead of the back-to-back matches with Saudi Arabia and Mozambique.
Jordan Torunarigha and Semi Ajayi recently recovered from injuries, while Fulham star Calvin Bassey has logged just 20 minutes in the last five matches in the Premier League.
Osayi-Samuel wasn't called up for the dead rubber AFCON qualifier against São Tomé and Príncipe because he was managing a groin injury.
In the sixteen gamed contested by Fenerbahce this season, the Blackpool academy product has played in twelve.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football