Torunarigha called back from dressing room after red card downgraded to yellow: Super Eagles CB reactsPublished: October 23, 2023
KAA Gent suffered their first defeat in this season's Jupiler Pro League on Sunday, losing 2-0 to Cercle Brugge at Jan-Breydel-Stadion.
Second half goals from Leonardo Lopes and Kévin Denkey secured a win for the home team.
Fresh from making his full debut for the Super Eagles, former Germany underage international Jordan Torunarigha was handed his ninth start of the season by KAA Gent boss Hein Vanhaezebrouck.
One of the talking points of the game was a strange incident in second half stoppage time when Torunarigha was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on a Cercle Brugge player.
The central defender had already made his way to the dressing room but had to be summoned back after a VAR review.
After looking at the replays of the incident on the pitchside monitor, referee Bert Put downgraded the red card to a yellow.
A Gent staff hurriedly went into the dressing room to inform Torunarigha that the red card had been withdrawn.
Reacting to the incident, Torunarigha said to Gent's official website shortly after the game: "The referee is only human, you know. Everybody makes mistakes.
"Indeed, I was already in the dressing room, they had to call me back. I could easily turn back the dial and get back to doing my best."
Torunarigha has been shown a straight red card only once in his professional career, back in the 2017-2018 season during a Bundesliga match between Hertha Berlin and RB Leipzig on December 17, 2017.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football