Yusuf scores first Champions League goal, makes Antwerp coach not to regret decision to hand him startPublished: October 25, 2023
Belgian champions Antwerp remain without a point in the halfway stage of the UEFA Champions League after losing 4-1 to Porto in a matchday three clash at the Bosuilstadion (Deurne) on Wednesday night.
Just as was suggested in the build-up to the game, the absence of injured Mandela Keita paved the way for Nigerian central midfielder Alhassan Yusuf to make his full Champions League debut,
Yusuf made Mark van Bommel not to regret his decision to name him in the starting lineup as he broke the deadlock for the hosts in the 37th minute when he swept the ball into the far corner from Janssen's deflected cross.
It was his first goal in the Champions League in what was his third appearance.
Sérgio Conceição's team turned it around dramatically and decisively having trailed by the interval.
With just 40 seconds of the second half played, Porto restored parity through Evanilson, whose shot deflected in past the Antwerp goalkeeper.
Stephen Eustáquio's 54th minute strike had Porto on top before Evanilson, who entered the game as a substitute due to an injury to Wendell, took over with two more goals of his own.
Super Eagles winger Chidera Ejuke, on loan to Antwerp from CKSA Moscow and yet to make his starting debut for the Pro League side, came on for his Champions League debut in the 78th minute and there was also a cameo for Lagos-born striker George Ilenikhena .
Photo Credit: uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football