Italy coach Spalletti considers handing debut to another defender of Nigerian descent after UdogiePublished: October 28, 2023
Italy national team coach Luciano Spalletti is reportedly considering handing a debut to another defender of Nigerian descent after Tottenham Hotspur star Destiny Udogie.
Verona-born Udogie is two caps away from becoming cap-tied to his country of birth, Italy after he was given minutes in the 2024 European Championship qualifiers against Malta and England this month.
According to La Gazzetta Dello Sport via Football Italia, Spalletti has been scouting new players to include in the national team and among the players that interest him is Fiorentina's Italy U21 international of Nigerian descent, Michael Kayode.
Kayode was on the radar of Spalletti before the European Championship qualifiers in October but was ultimately left out of the roster.
The Italy boss has been monitoring the Fiorentina starlet ahead of decisive matches in the Euro qualifiers against North Macedonia and Ukraine in November.
The chances of Kayode getting his first-ever call-up to Italy senior's squad for next month's games are slim as the defender suffered a bad ankle injury in the Europa Conference League meeting with FK Cukaricki on Thursday, leading to his substitution in the eighth minute.
Kayode has seen his stock rise after some impressive displays for Italy at the 2023 European U19 Championship, where he scored the game-winning goal in the showpiece against Portugal and was deployed in multiple positions.
The 19-year-old has broken into Fiorentina's first team, making nine appearances across all competitions this term, and earned his first call-up to Italy's U21 national team in September.
Photo Credit: figc.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football