Ilenikhena becomes youngest player to score in two consecutive JPL matches since Romelu LukakuPublished: October 29, 2023
Royal Antwerp suffered their third defeat on the bounce on Sunday afternoon, losing 2-1 to Club Brugge in a Jupiler Pro League game staged at the Jan-Breydel-Stadion with three Super Eagles-eligible players in action.
Nigeria international Raphael Onyedika and Alhassan Yusuf went the distance for their respective teams, while Lagos-born center forward George Ilenikhena entered the game as a substitute in the 72nd minute.
Twenty five seconds after coming off the bench, Ilenikhena brought the game back to parity when he deflected Corbanie's cross into the far corner but the home team snatched all three points right at the death when Hans Vanaken found the net.
Ilenikhena has now scored in back-to-back games in the Jupiler Pro League having netted his first goal in Antwerp colors in a 3-2 loss to Sporting Charleroi last weekend.
According to the statisticians at OPTA, the Antwerp number 9, who is 17 years and 74 days today, is the youngest player to score in two consecutive Jupiler Pro League matches since Romelu Lukaku in 2010 (16 years and 312 days).
Lukaku netted in two consecutive matches against Racing Genk and KSC Lokeren in March 2010.
Signed from Amiens SC in July 2023, Ilenikhena has appeared in fourteen matches across all competitions, including three in the Champions League.
Photo Credit: royalantwerpfc.be
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football