CAF Young POTY nominee Gift Orban returns to action after injury relapsePublished: November 02, 2023
On the same day he was nominated for the men's Young Player of the Year by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) ,Gift Orban returned to action as Gent advanced to the next round of the Croky Cup after a 3-1 win over Patro Eisden Maasmechelen.
Orban had been rated as doubtful to take to the pitch on Wednesday after he suffered an injury relapse in the build-up to the Jupiler Pro League clash versus Standard Liege last weekend.
Gent manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck explained after the game that the 2023 Super Eagles invitee was struggling to overcome a groin problem.
The 21-year-old passed a fitness test before the trip to Patro Eisden Maasmechelen, paving the way for him to be named in the starting lineup to face the Challenger Pro League side.
Prior to yesterday's game, Orban had not made a full recovery since he suffered a training ground injury while on international duty with the Super Eagles - an ailment that saw him dropped from the matchday squad for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against São Tomé and Príncipe.
Orban was on the pitch for 82 minutes against Patro Eisden Maasmechelen before making way for Matisse Samoise, shortly after Gent scored their third goal through Sven Kums.
Gent's other scorers were Tarik Tissoudali and Hyun-seok Hong while Hadj Moussa headed in a consolation goal for the home team.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football