Montpellier striker Adams sets his sights on wearing the Super Eagles jersey at AFCON; idolises Drogba, RonaldoPublished: November 03, 2023
Red-hot Nigerian striker Akor Adams was on media duties on Thursday ahead of Montpellier's match with Paris Saint-Germain at the Parc Des Princes, a game corresponding to the eleventh round of matches in the French Ligue 1.
One of the questions the former Lillestrom goal poacher was asked was whether he was interested in playing for the Super Eagles at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast.
Uncapped for the senior team of Nigeria, Adams was a member of the Flying Eagles squad to the 2019 Fifa U20 World Cup in Poland, where he was involved in group matches against Qatar and United States,
The 23-year-old has put himself in contention to gatecrash the Super Eagles squad for the Africa Cup of Nations on the back of his imperious displays since his permanent transfer to Montpellier in August 2023.
With seven goals in nine matches in the Ligue 1, he is the joint-top scoring Nigerian player in the top five European Leagues, along with Bayer Leverkusen star Victor Boniface.
Speaking to reporters, Adams said: "National team is the dream of every boy who grew up in his country and for me is also the same but right now I think it's still one, two months away.
"The games in Montpellier are my biggest focus, and that would come when it comes, and then we'll see with the club."
Adams has cited two-time World Cup winner Ronaldo and legendary Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba as his idols, and also likes retired Netherlands international Dennis Bergkamp.
On his idols, he said: "His (Bergkamp) touches are magnificent but personally I watch Ronaldo Nazário and Didier Drogba."
Adams is the first Montpellier player to score seven goals after his first nine matches with the club in Ligue 1.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football