'We were talking about a big transfer to England' - Ex-GK on out-of-form Tottenham-linked striker Gift OrbanPublished: November 04, 2023
Former KAA Gent glovesman Wim De Coninck has highlighted that 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban has not been performing at his best, a few months after he was linked with a big-money move to Tottenham Hotspur.
Orban is no more guaranteed a starting berth at the Buffalos due to a dip in form and fitness issues.
Since moving to Gent in the January transfer window, the dual national centre forward has mustered 27 goals in 39 all-competition appearances - a feat that earned him a nomination for the CAF men's Young Player of the Year award.
Orban was courted by clubs in the top five European Leagues after putting himself in the shop window with 20 goals in 22 matches for Gent in the second half of last season.
Against Basaksehir FK on March 15, he wrote his name in the record books by scoring the quickest hat-trick in the history of UEFA club competition.
Before Tottenham Hotspur's capture of Brennan Johnson. the Premier League table-toppers tested the waters regarding the signing of Orban, having opened a line of communication with the player's camp, but did not firm up their interest by making an official bid to Gent.
"We especially now see his shortcomings and he is fighting with himself. How to resolve this? It will take patience, I fear,"De Coninck said to Het Nieuwsblad, via Walfoot.
"We very rarely see Orban in the zone of truth. It must be difficult for him. There is Just a few months ago we were talking about a big transfer to England or elsewhere."
The former goalkeeper added: "Now he is on the bench at Gent and he has to overcome this difficult period, which is probably new for him. I'm sure they try to talk to him a lot at Gent, but if they then put him on the bench."
Orban ended a goal drought that lasted for 578 minutes when he found the net in Gent's 5-0 rout of of Breidablik Kópavogur on matchday three of the Europa Conference League on October 26, but fired blanks in his next game against Patro Eisden.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football