'He can play in and behind the striker' - Ajax number 9 insists competition with Akpom is not an issuePublished: November 09, 2023
Ajax Amsterdam number 9, Brian Brobbey has insisted that competition with Chuba Akpom for a starting shirt does not bother him because the former Middlesbrough attacker is also capable of playing as a support striker.
The Hale End Academy graduate transferred to Amsterdam club in the summer as the four-time European champions looked to add to their attacking options.
Top scorer in the Championship last season, Akpom struggled in his first two months as an Ajax player, under dismissed coach Maurice Steijn, but he's enjoying a new lease of life under Ajax's new manager John van 't Schip with three goals in 28 minutes spread across two games.
Brobbey and Akpom are on form at the moment in the Dutch Eredivisie, netting three goals apiece from their last three appearances in the division, leaving John van 't Schip spoilt for choice ahead of Thursday's Europa League meeting with Brighton & Hove.
The Dutch football tactician has a decision to make, whether to drop his first choice striker in favour of Akpom or play the two hardworking strikers together from the off.
"Akpom is doing well. I'm happy for him. I also think he can play in and behind the striker," Brobbey told Algemeen Dagblad, via Ajax Fansite.
"It doesn't really matter to me, as long as I play. I have every confidence in this team, everything will be fine ."
Since his move to Ajax, Akpom has made just one start from a possible fourteen in all competitions.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football