'A split-second decision' - Southampton loanee Onuachu reacts to scoring Olivier Giroud-like scorpion kick goalPublished: November 11, 2023
Southampton loanee Paul Onuachu is trending for all the good reasons after his spectacular backheel goal secured all three points for Trabzonspor in a 2-1 win over Konyaspor on matchday 12 of the Turkish Super Lig on Friday night.
With his back to goal, Onuachu hit the ball very hard with his heel and managed to beat the Konyaspor goalkeeper after receiving a lofted pass from Enis Destan.
Onuachu's sublime strike is reminiscent of the scorpion kick goals scored by Zlatan Ibrahimovic for Paris Saint-Germain in a 4-0 rout of SC Bastia in 2014, Olivier Giroud for Arsenal against Crystal Palace in 2017 and Henrikh Mkhitaryan for Manchester United against Sunderland in 2016.
The FC Ebedei product was shipped out on loan to Trabzonspor in September after struggling to adapt to the demands of English football and the methods of managers Rubén Sellés and Nathan Jones in the second half of last season.
But with six goals in eight appearances for Trabzonspor, Onuachu has returned to form and silenced his critics.
Commenting on his second goal against Konyaspor, Onuachu said to beIN SPORTS, via NTVSpor: "Actually, I don't know what I can say about the goal. The ball did not come to my feet or to my head.
"I had to make the right decision in a second. It was a split-second decision. It is difficult to describe and explain. You have to decide at that moment."
With no goals to his name in three consecutive Super Lig matches in October, Onuachu was omitted from the Super Eagles squad for their 2026 World Cup qualifying matches against Lesotho and Zimbabwe.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football