Champions League club were priced out of a move for Victor Boniface before transfer to Bayer LeverkusenPublished: November 11, 2023
One of Germany's representatives in this season's UEFA Champions League, Union Berlin were priced out of signing Victor Boniface before his summer transfer to Bayer Leverkusen.
According to German newspaper Bild, Boniface had been on the radar of Union Berlin during his time in Norway with Bodo/Glimt but the transfer was difficult to pull off due to economic reasons, and the young attacker had already torn his cruciate ligament twice.
Bayer Leverkusen reached an agreement with Royale Union Saint-Gilloise to sign the Super Eagles star in exchange for 20 million euros - a fee that was too expensive for Union Berlin.
Union Berlin supporters are aware of the goalscoring abilities of Boniface as he netted twice against the capital club in a Europa League round of 16 tie at the Stadion An der Alten Försterei back in March.
Boniface is having a banner season at Bayer Leverkusen, having mustered 11 goals from his fifteen games in all competitions.
On Friday, the 22-year-old made it a hat-trick of Bundesliga Rookie of the Month wins after beating Xavi Simons and Brajan Gruda to the October prize.
Tomorrow, the Nigeria international can remind Union Berlin's traveling fans what they missed when the Iron Ones face off with Bayer Leverkusen at the BayArena on gameweek 11 of the Bundesliga.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football