'I saw him struggling' - Porto coach explains why Zaidu was replaced after opening his account for 2023-24Published: November 12, 2023
Porto coach Sérgio Conceição was on media duties on Saturday night shortly after his side came from behind to beat Vitória Guimarães SC 2-1 on matchday 11 of the Liga Portugal and one of the subjects he discussed was Zaidu Sanusi.
Sanusi has been left out of the Super Eagles squad for their upcoming 2026 World Cup qualifying matches against Lesotho and Zimbabwe because there had been concerns about his fitness, with the left-back just returning to action five days ago after an injury layoff that kept him sidelined for seven weeks.
Four days after Zaidu was named in the starting lineup for the visit of Antwerp in the Champions League, he retained his place in the starting XI for the away tie at Vitória Guimarães SC but was replaced nine minutes into the second half.
After André Silva's 17th minute opener, Zaidu restored parity in the 39th minute when he headed home a cross from Francisco Conceição - his first goal of the 2023-2024 campaign in what was his sixth appearance.
Before the Nigeria international made way for Wenderson Galeno, play was delayed a bit because he was down on the turf.
On Zaidu, Conceição was quoted as saying by Porto's official website : "He had a strong stomp, he was in difficulty and before that I felt he wasn't doing so well.
"We cannot forget the time off, the two games he played after the injury and finding a competitive rhythm is never easy.
"He had the merit of appearing to score the goal and when I saw him struggling I put Taremi and Galeno in, lowering Pepê. It paid off, because we could have scored more goals.".
Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro has picked four players capable of playing in the left-back role for the double header this month, namely Calvin Bassey, Jamilu Collins, Ola Aina and Bruno Onyemaechi.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football