2026 WCQ Zimbabwe 1 Nigeria 1: Iheanacho comes off the bench to get Super Eagles out of troublePublished: November 19, 2023
The Super Eagles were held to a 1-1 draw by Zimbabwe in their second qualifying game for the 2026 FIFA World Cup on Sunday afternoon at the Huye Stadium in Rwanda.
Jose Peseiro made some changes to the starting XI that featured against Lesotho, with Ola Aina replacing Bright Osayi-Samuel, Moses Simon, Joe Aribo and Terem Moffi starting and Nathan Tella handed a full debut.
The three-time African champions had no threat on goal in the first half. besides a Moses Simon's free-kick that was easily dealt with.
It was Zimbabwe that looked more threatening, particularly on the counter and got a reward for their endeavours through a well-taken free kick from Walter Musona.
Peseiro was forced to ring some changes at the start of the second half as he brought on Osayi-Samuel, Kelechi Iheanacho, and Victor Boniface, with Ola Aina, Nathan Tella and Frank Onyeka making way.
Moments after the start of the second half,Nigeria had the first chance to restore parity from an indirect free kick but were denied by a goal-line clearance.
Relief eventually came in the 67th for the Super Eagles when Joe Aribo made a loft pass to Simon who put the ball on the plate for Iheanacho to level the scoreline.
Despite dominating possession in the last twenty minutes, the Super Eagles failed to carve out any meaningful chances while the Warriors were content to protect their draw.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football