'They had the tactics' - Iwobi slams Zimbabwe players for time-wasting during draw against Super EaglesPublished: November 19, 2023
The Super Eagles are playing catch-up in the race to qualify for the 2026 World Cup after they were forced to another draw by one of their Group C opponents, Zimbabwe on matchday two of the qualifiers.
Walter Musona.scored with a long-range free-kick to open the scoring in the 26th minute but Leicester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho came of the bench to get the Super Eagles out of trouble, netting the equalizer at the midway point of the second half after he was teed up by Moses Simon.
Super Eagles playmaker Alex Iwobi has accused the Zimbabwe players of using ugly tactics to ensure they got something from the match.
The Fulham star noted that the Warriors employed time-wasting tactics after they opened the scoring and it was worse in the second half as the players feigned injuries at the slightest opportunity.
Zimbabwe gained an advantage by deliberately slowing the game and disrupted the flow of the Super Eagles.
Asked at the post-match press conference what he thought of today's opposition, Iwobi replied: "We have to give credit to them. Of course it's easy for them when they get the first goal, it's easy so they can just sit back and defend.
"Of course they had the tactics to try and waste time to disrupt our tempo of the game so it favored them.
"Credit to them. They are a good side but I feel like with the players we have we should have done much better."
The Super Eagles will be back in action in the 2026 World Cup qualifiers in June 2024 when they face South Africa at home before an away match against Republic of Benin.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football