'He resembles Cavani' - Ex-Napoli sporting director likens Osimhen to former PSG and Man Utd strikerPublished: November 20, 2023
Former sporting director of Napoli Riccardo Bigon, who worked in the Italian club with Walter Mazzarri, has praised Victor Osimhen by likening him to former Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani.
Cavani also has a connection with Napoli, for whom he scored 104 goals in 138 appearances.
The similarity between Osimhen and Cavani doesn't end with their style of play, with both winning the Capocannoniere as Napoli players.
The Nigerian became the first African player to win the Serie A Golden Boot in 2022-2023 with 26 goals while the Uruguayan took home the prize for the 2012-2013 campaign after mustering 29 goals.
Bigon reckons that new Napoli manager Mazzarri has the firepower at his disposal to shoot the Parthenopeans up the Serie A table in the last 26 games of the season.
"In terms of characteristics he resembles Cavani, just as Kvaraskhelia recalls Lavezzi," he told Radio Kiss Kiss, via Il Napolista.
"Together with Zielinski they can become that magical trio formed at the time with Hamsik. The Georgian has running and imagination, the Nigerian great depth.
"The coach really has a lot of quality at his disposal, and even if football is always very unpredictable, for me there are all the right ingredients to do well."
Osimhen did not take part in the Super Eagles' back-to-back World Cup qualifying matches against Lesotho and Zimbabwe due to a hamstring injury he suffered while on international duty in October.
The 24-year-old is expected to return to action after the international break, as from the game against Atalanta.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football