Globe Soccer Awards: Osimhen nominated for Best Men's Player, Oshoala in the running for Best Women's PlayerPublished: November 21, 2023
Napoli star Victor Osimhen and Barcelona striker Asisat Oshoala have been nominated for the 2023 Globe Soccer Award for Best Men's Player and Best Women's Player respectively.
Osimhen has established himself as one of the most clinical strikers in the world in the past 12 months, scooping the Serie A top scorer award for last season and was the highest goalscorer in the just concluded 2023 AFCON qualifiers.
This isn't the first time being nominated for a category of the Globe Soccer Awards as he won the Emerging Player of the Year in the 2022 edition.
The Napoli striker is set to battle Liverpool ace Mohamed Salah, Arsenal duo of Martin Ødegaard and Bukayo Saka, Manchester United goalkeeper André Onana, Manchester City stars, Rodrigo, Kevin De Bruyne, Rúben Dias, Ederson, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Bernardo Silva, Erling Haaland and Julián Álvarez for the award.
Other nominees include Nicolò Barella, Jude Bellingham, Karim Benzema, Yassine Bounou, Antoine Griezmann, Ilkay Gundogan, Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, Robert Lewandowski, Lautaro Martínez, Kylian Mbappé, Lionel Messi, Kim Min-Jae, Luka Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane and Vinícius Jr.
Oshoala was also nominated for helping Barcelona Femení win the Liga F and UEFA Women's Champions League triumphs last season.
Despite being plagued with injuries, she finished as the third top scorer in Liga F with 21 goals which was also the most of all Barcelona players.
She is in contention with Aitana Bonmatí, Millie Bright, Linda Caicedo, Olga Carmona, Rachel Daly, Debinha, Kadidiatou Diani, Mary Earps, Esther González, Patricia Guijarro, Yui Hasegawa, Amanda Ilestedt, Mapi Leon, Sam Kerr, Salma Paralluelo, Alexandra Popp, Wendie Renard, Fridolina Rolfo and Georgia Stanway.
Online voting which will take place between now and December 7 determines the players that will make the final shortlist while the winner of each category will also be decided by online voting of both the fans and Globe Soccer's Official jury between December 12 and 28.
The winners will be announced at a Gala event on January 19, 2024
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football