'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in BundesligaPublished: November 30, 2023
Bayer Leverkusen Managing Director Sports, Simon Rolfes has defended Victor Boniface dip in form in the German Bundesliga.
The 22-year-old started the season in incredible form, rubbing shoulders with Bayern Munich forward Harry Kane and VfB Stuttgart ace Serhou Guirassy on the top scorers' chart, having bagged seven goals in his first 7 games.
He also won the Bundesliga Rookie of the Month on three occasions and the Player of the Month once in the process.
However, goals appear to have dried up for the former Union Saint-Gilliose striker as he has failed to score in the past five league games though he has registered 3 assists within that period.
This dip in form doesn't bother Rolfes who believes it is not unusual for a player like Boniface to have inconsistencies in their performances.
"He's also a young guy. Fluctuations are completely normal.You have to deal with it and keep your confidence," Rolfes told Kicker.
"You shouldn't forget that he comes from the Belgian league. The fact that he has to get used to games with this rhythm and this intensity. That's a normal development when adapting."
The Super Eagles forward has 12 goal involvements in twelve Bundesliga games which is an average of a goal or assist per game, an impressive statistic for a player playing in his debut season in the German top-flight.
Boniface has also scored in his last two appearances in the UEFA Europa League which suggests that he has not suddenly lost his goal-scoring prowess though he will be hoping he ends his Bundesliga goal-scoring drought soon.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football