'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against ArsenalPublished: November 30, 2023
Fulham central defender Calvin Bassey has reflected on the controversial yellow card dished out to him for time-wasting by referee Paul Tierney in the 50th minute of the Cottaggers' 2-2 draw against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium back in August.
The Nigeria international was yellow carded again in the 83rd minute for blocking Eddie Nketiah at a counter attack, leading to his dismissal.
The first yellow card issued to Bassey was a bit harsh because Nketiah was in the area and he was not supposed to take the goal kick until the Arsenal striker got out of the box.
According to the International Football Association Board, 'all opponents are required to be outside the penalty area until the goal kick is taken and if an opponent remains inside or enters the penalty area before the kick is taken and plays, challenges or touches the ball, the goal kick is retaken'.
Bassey revealed that he was disappointed to be walking a disciplinary tightrope early in the second half.
Reflecting on the yellow card against Arsenal, Bassey said to Fulham's official website: "It's one of those things. It's a bit annoying as a player and for the manager as well because sometimes in games you might just have to take a yellow and having to be on a yellow is obviously tough.
"Of course emotions got over but it is a good learning curve."
Bassey has not been cautioned in his last seven Premier League appearances for Fulham ahead of their trip to Anfield to face Liverpool on Sunday.
Photo Credit: fulhamfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football